Thursday, December 11, 2008

How to Become a Weather Geek

"My name is Tommy and I am a gadget geek" (Hello Tommy).....

At least that is what I feel I should be saying. I can't seem to help myself (although my wife seems to be enough help for us both but that is another post). If it runs on a laptop, can be plugged into a wall charger or a car cigarette lighter, I just want it, period. So imagine my delight when I found a web site today that sells weather station equipment. I was even more delighted to learn that you can join a network of other weather geeks and deliver real time weather data to the network. I have to tell you, it is all I can do to not to whip out the Visa and go to town!

But not only is being a weather geek fun for me, it is down right necessary because of my other obsession, boating. No responsible captain takes to the waves until he has checked the weather, both current conditions and the forecast. Now, do I need a $500 home weather station to do that? Well, no but wouldn't it be cool? I mean, I could tell my wife if it is cold, raining, and windy without ever opening a door or window. What woman doesn't want that kind of efficiency from her man? Anyone?

Oh well, I guess I will once again suppress my inner geek and log into weather.com!

No comments: