Monday, November 3, 2008

NC Community Sailing & Rowing Center on Lake Norman!

As someone that proudly putters around Lake Norman on my pontoon boat, I am thrilled that the long awaited Sailing & Rowing Center has finally been approved. Admittedly, I am not overly informed on the center or the logistics surrounding the project. Perhaps that is a mistake on my part because I live just across the cove from Blythe Landing, the proposed center's home. Still, I think that raising the profile of sailing on LKN is a good thing. Specifically, on the south end of the lake. 

Yes, we see a fair number of sailboats on LKN but once you make your way down to Markers 1 & 2 (around Ramsey Creek), they are few and far between. No, I am not saying that we need to hold regattas in the Ramsey Creek channel but a good mix of power and sailing vessels is a good thing. But it will certainly beg the question about required boater safety courses. As I have noted on more than one occasion, it is painfully obvious that some sort of boater education and/or safety training is needed and missing on our lakes. 

Okay, I've packed a bunch of links and posturing into this one post. The bottom line for me, I'm glad to be adding public access to sailing to the LKN boating mix. 

No comments: